Welcome back

Share with the friends you like, and the ones you don't like.
If I offend you, bummer.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Swamp Stomper, Tunica Riding, Now Recovering


Went to Tunica on Friday afternoon for the Cirq Du Velos winter training camp. What a great group of guys! NEVER have I met a team of cyclists all so eager to learn. There were NO hotheads, superstars, jerks, or loudmouths (a collection of traits that you will find in nearly EVERY cycling team), just a great group of guys that are eager to be better riders. I am very lucky that I get to support these guys with their training programs, nutritional guidance, gear selection, and just overall cycling dynamics. We rode a chill 30 miles on Friday in the surprising 55 degree weather, ate at an all-you-can eat Paula Deen's buffet Friday night. I am still digesting that horrible excuse for food. Saturday rode around 70 miles out to Arkabutla Lake and back. I grew up mountain biking at the trails there and haven't been back in over 12 years so it was a treat to still be able to recognize where the trail head was, where we used to camp, and the exact location where a friend of mine ate shit on his bike once. After the ride we headed off to lunch then back to the hotel for some team meetings and beer drinking. Then I headed home around 5pm for a pre-race dinner at Los Compadres with Sette. The entire way home was POURING RAIN, the temperature dropped, and the rain did not quit until 1 hr. before race time Sunday morning. It was no doubt going to be a SWAMP Stomp.

Race report time:

I wanted to be the 2nd or 3rd into the single track and successfully did so, but only for about 30 seconds. The two guys that led into the woods approached the initial downhill section at a pace that would rival Micheal J. Fox's, so I quickly found an opening and went around them with Billy Simpson and Andrew Oberst following. Kept it chill for another minute and then decided to get in a rythm and quickly pulled away. Those two were chatting so I knew I was opening up a gap as their voices began to fade. From there on I swung off of tree branchs and used everything I could to aid in keeping my speed without slipping and busting my ass. It worked. I hit the turnaround and had a little over 8 minutes on Andrew and Billy whom were still together and it was another 8+ minutes to the next person. I picked up the pace on the way back and felt great until the last 2-3 miles. The mud had gotten so tilled up that it was near impossible to get a secure footing. I was dying. Between being the last few miles and the course being in the worst condition in this spot, it was not easy. I got through it, made it up the final climb (the first descent where I went around the initial leaders) using tree branchs and anything I could find to help me climb. The mud was so slick and the hill was so steep, it was like a water slide creating impossible chances of walking up casually. Finished, threw my hands up, and was cooked.

I sit here typing this with sore abs, back, and legs like Christopher Reeve's.


No comments:

Post a Comment